Monday, January 11, 2010

Interview and such

That's right, I had my interview today. There is a story behind it, though...

Around 9am this morning I was finishing up preparations for my interview that was set to start at 10am. I got a call asking if I could make it in by 9:30 instead of 10. I said, "sure" and I left that minute because I didn't know exactly where I was going. It should have taken me about 15 minutes to get to the school, 20 max. Using my trusty iPhone and GoogleMaps I typed in the address to the school. I had never been there so I didn't see anything wrong with the directions. So I get to where the map tells me and there is no school in sight.
At this point I am starting to freak out a little because my interview is supposed to start in 10 minutes and I have no idea where it is. I called the school and asked for directions, assuming I wasn't too terribly far away. The nice lady on the other end gave me directions, that I followed precisely, and that got me absolutely nowhere... It is 9:32 at this point, I am further away now than before, so I call the school again. I get a different receptionist who give me directions again. These directions are VASTLY different from the first set I received.
I finally got to the school, at 9:45, and I am told to wait a few minutes and they would come get me when they are ready for me...

So yeah, not a great start to the day, and I'm sure they had just a wonderful first impression of me. I explained what happened and they all understood, so hopefully it doesn't damage my chances of getting the job. Overall I think the interview went really well. I was able to explain some of my strengths, let them know about some of my weaknesses, and get a good feel for the kind of people that work at the school. I have a friend who works at the school (a lady who babysat me when I was really little, like before I went to school) and she doesn't seem to have any problems with it. Later on in the day I got a phone call from the assistant principal and he asked me several questions about my certification. Thankfully I finally have my certification from Texas and as soon as I pass that stupid BTLPT I will be able to have all of my certifications transfered over to NM.

Today was a pretty good day, aside from some of the hiccups, and I am much more hopeful about getting this job than the other job I interviewed for. I don't think I will hear for at least a week and a half if I got the job or not, but I am going to try to make sure everything is in order so I won't have to do anything else if they decide to hire me. I'm pretty excited about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment