Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor day weekend

This weekend was a pretty good one. After the week I had I needed a break. On Friday night a friend of ours from TTU came into town for a visit. Unfortunately, my mom's uncle passed away about a month ago so there was a HUGE family dinner on Friday night that I wanted to go to. The boys went to eat with another friend instead of coming to the family dinner. Then, Saturday we went up to Jason's parents' cabin in Jemez. It was so nice and relaxing to just sit up there with no tv (or video games or football) and we just hung out, played games, and ate. We went for a nice little hike on Sunday morning, ate lunch, then came home. Last night we watched the TTU vs. SMU game that Jason recorded, and then they watch most of the OSU vs. TCU game. The friend that went to dinner with Jason and the other friend joined us for all of these escapades as well. It was just spending a weekend with friends since I don't get to do that very often. Today we woke up, Jason and Jonathan went to get donuts (day old unfortunately, because everything is closed on Labor Day), I washed my car, showered, and now the boys are playing video games while I try to finish up laundry. Overall it has been a very good weekend.

I'm so excited to see what this week is going to have in store for me, because I'm starting to get the class under control and to figure out some fun things to do with the kids so that they are still learning but having fun at the same time. It seems like third grade is difficult for them because up until now there has been a lot of hand-holding and coaching throughout the day, not much independent work. Now, however, with the need to do reading groups and the math program, there is a lot more time during the day when the students need to be independent. They are slowly but surely getting the hang of it, but I'm afraid it might be a little longer before we run like a well-oiled machine. However, I'm still just excited that our a/c works again!

Tonight we are going to go eat dinner with my parents before we have to take Jonathan back to the airport. I think we are having ribs, corn, and tomatoes (fresh from the garden!) yum! We are considering having both sets of parents over this coming Friday night since we haven't had them over in a while. We will see if they want to come or not. I hope everyone had a great three-day weekend and has an even better week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment