Sunday, February 21, 2010

I survived!

My first two days with kids went swimmingly this week! Ok, maybe that is a bit of an exageration, but at least I lived through them. My first day was more-or-less uneventful. I just met with the kids, explained the rules, played a game, and let them go a little bit early. I was really apprehensive about my 6th grade groups, and rightly so, because they gave me the most trouble. It wasn't terrible, I just get the feeling they are going to test me all year. Two of my students already got suspended for fighting. Another on told me to "make him" do something, then later he walked out of the class. I didn't really know what to do, but I figured it out and I will know what to do next time. I was just nervous because this kid is my size and it doesn't seem to matter that I am the authority figure. I think he enjoys the class, and if I play it right I think he will shape up, but it is just hard knowing what to do in that situation.

I haven't exactly figured out what I am going to teach them, because I have 7 different groups to plan for each day. The hardest part is planning for my group that is just 1 kid. He seems really smart and he can read/write really well. His teacher said he needs more help in his speaking, and just his vocabulary in general. I don't know how to do that in a meaningful way, though, so I am still working on it. Hopefully something will come to me soon.

I also had to go to two meetings this week. One on Wednesday all day and one on Friday afternoon. Sounds like I am just going to have a lot of meetings, even though I don't know what I am doing yet.

On a different note, I have started working out again. We bought a treadmill and I have used it three times in the last week. I know that is not a lot, but I figure it is a start, and I need to at least start of I am not going to do it at all. I hope I can keep up with it because I have to be in shape before the end of June (we are going to Lake Powell for a week on a houseboat with our families?). I am not doing so hot in the eating department, but baby steps, right?

Ok, gotta go finish cooking dinner. Hopefully this week goes well for me and I'll write about it later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment