Tuesday, August 24, 2010

1/2 days are the best days

One week down, about 39 to go! I am starting to get a little bit overwhelmed with how much I have to teach my kiddos this year, and I don't understand how to use some of my curriculum yet. It is pretty stressful. I know that feeling overwhelmed is completely normal for a first year teacher, and for all teachers at this time of the year. Thankfully my colleagues are taking care of me and calming me down the best they can. I just feel so inadequate for all I have to do for my kids this year. What were they thinking giving me a teaching certificate?? haha. I know I will get into the swing of things here shortly, but I've also heard that I will feel overwhelmed for the whole year. I certainly hope not, because I might have an anxiety attack if I do... ugh. I wish I had more time to hang out with my husband and to do the tutoring that I promised I would continue, but so far work is completely consuming my life right now. There is so much prep work that goes into what I am teaching, and since I don't have many materials, I have to make everything from scratch. I also have several online teacher's editions that I am trying to decipher and I need to start learning how to use my SmartBoard. Gah! There are so many things I need to do!

Thankfully, tomorrow is a half day for the students which means there is at least 1.5 hours of prep/planning time in the afternoon that I plan to make full use of. I have tons of copies to make and several things to get organized. I guess I need to work on not getting too overwhelmed when thinking about all the things I need to do, and just take it one thing at a time.

Ok, I'm just getting more stressed out when I think about all the things I need to do. I just had the first evening off since I started work and was really enjoying it until I realized what I needed to do. Thank the Lord for 1/2 days on Wednesdays!!

No comments:

Post a Comment